(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Beaver Dam Baptist Church; historical sketch, 1850-1950"

McSwain, Jean 

Beaver Dam Baptist Church 



Mil-SB"- 




DUKE 
UNIVERSITY 




DIVINITY SCHOOL 
LIBRARY 






George Washington Flowers 
Memorial Collection 

DUKE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY 



ESTABLISHED BY THE 
FAMILY OF 

COLONEL FLOWERS 





m 



Mmxm lam 



Uapttat (Ehurrb 



Biatnriral Mrtrfy 







1B50-1050 




Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 



http://archive.org/details/beaverdambaptistOOmcsw 



n \n 5 8 



PREFACE 

We the Authors of this historical sketch, wish to express our sincere 
appreciation to the many people who have assisted us in making- this 
book possible. If this book meets with any degree of success, the credit 
in a large measure is due to the membership of the church for their loyal 
support of the project. 

We wish especially to express our appreciation to Mr. and Mrs. T. P. 
Hamrick for the information they so graciously furnished, as well as old 
Church records they furnished us access to. 

We are also indebted to Mrs. J. G. Greene for the many hours she 
spent as our Secretary in preparing the information contained in this 
book, so that it might be turned over to the printers. It would also be an 
act of ingratitude not to mention those who through the years have kept 
the records of the Church, for without these records, this historical sketch 
would not have been possible. 

Co-Authors ; 

Jean McSwain 
Robert Morgan 



' Hi ; " 





: :!"l^l|^;- : ^|f -ISIS 
. . ■ ■ 
'■^.^■■'-■■■M-^z£.--m 

„■■-.-■ 







>. ,■ s: ■ '■: <.■'„<■.' ,- ■■»-. ■>-:. •. ■■■<:>..-, -;-. ■;■?; .■...,. i '.s,-:.- j ,... 












mm>& i>rK :: 



O 

o 

(72 



<d 



<c 






— ^' frill 



it 



"* 'r 




i, 

'.Al' > ASA 

.■>^-^Wi^: : -. .-■■ Ails 
- ■#;,.»«*:;. ^ ".■■■{?'■!!;*;*; 
:■ ,1W- .^iSf^"*' :■: , . a ;:Ry. : :iS ;; " 

"A s AiSVvAAAbSAll|f 
3 s : %*§sS;" 4 SiSs„ ' Ciifii'SfesiijIpSf" »■ 

:SiSAA :; ■:■:.. -;#Sx* AAAS 



■Ak 



... *. A t 



§l|§§AiSAiA 




Rev. John W. Sutt.e 



w*m 











Minister of the Gospel for 60 years; Moderator of the Kings Mountain Baptist Ass'n. for the 
past 38 years; President of North Carolina State Baptist Convention in 1949; Pastor of this Church 
since 1935. 



The history of Beaver Dam Church is a long and very interesting 
history. Throughout this history is found one main theme and that is 
progress. 

Beaver Dam Baptist Church was constituted on December 23, 1850. 
Some question has arisen as to exactly how the name Beaver Dam was 
given this church. From the most realible information available, it is 
learned that beavers had built a dam across a small creek near where this 
church was organized and it was from this that the name Beaver Dam was 
taken. 

For sometime before the church was constituted, several ministers 
had been conducting services at a stand near the present site of this 
church. It was necessary for these ministers to ride horseback to attend 
these meetings. It was after several such meetings and a great deal of 
interest being manifest, it was decided there was what seemed to be an 
opportunity to establish a regular Baptist Church and so it was on the 23rd 
of December, 1850 that a presbetery composed of and constituted from the 
deaconship and ministers of the following Baptist Churches: Sandy Run, 
Boiling Springs, Mount Sinai and Zion was assembled. Members for the 
new church gathered at this meeting were from other churches and some 
desiring to be baptized. The churches from which members brought their 
letters were Double Springs, Zion and Sandy Run. 

Thenew church was duly constituted with 43 members, 24 male and 
19 female. The charter members of Beaver Dam Baptist Church are as 
listed below: 



MALE 

Elijah Eskridge 
John Padgett 
John J. Jones 
William McSwain 
Daivd Hamrick 
Jesse Hardin 
George McSwain 
Drury D. McSwain 
Howsen Harrill 
Whitson Dye 
Thomas Harrill 
Nathaniel Harrill 
Elijah Hamrick 
D. C. Webb 
Isaac N. Earls 
David Bostic 
Irvin J. Hardin 
Andy Hamrick 
Charles Webb 
Weldon Durham 
James McSwain 
Reubin Bridges 
L. D. Webb 



FEMALE 

Susannah McSwain 
Susannah Bostic 
Polly McSwain 
Nancy Hamrick 
Cynthia Panel 
Rachel Padgett 
Lucia McSwain 
Margaret Pinson 
Eliza Eskridge 
Sarah Price 
Frances Bridges 
Priscilla Harrill 
Mary Randall 
Jane Hamrick 
Nancy Pinson 
Esther Padgett 
S. E. Elliott 
Elizabeth McKinney 
Nancy McSwain 



bd 

o 
g 

o 
O 

S3 

o 

o 
3 



W 

CD 

<! 
05 

a 

S3 



o 




JftSf^l 1- 



?W 











At this meeting' Rev. R. P. Logan was called as the first pastor and 
served the church until 1853. It is reported that he received as a salary 
for his first years, work $10.20. It is known further that some of the fol- 
lowing pastors did not receive this much, some of them receiving as low as 
$8.75 for their years work as pastor. In connection with this, however, 
it should be pointed out that in the year 1850, being pastor was not a full 
time work as it is today. 

Evidently, Reverend Logan was an outstanding leader for it was he 
who for the first three years of the church life kept it together and saw 
that not a single scheduled service was missed. If he could not attend, it 
was arranged for someone else to fill his place. Also the same tribute must 
be paid to the first members of this church for it was their loyalty and 
true faith in Christ that caused them not only to maintain a church but 
also to grow. It is significant to note that the first mention of a service 
being missed by this group was nine years after the church was founded 
in August 1859. 

Not very much is known further of the organization of this church. 
It is known however that J. J. Jones was elected the first church clerk 
and served until 1853 when D. C. Webb was elected. 

The only two known deacons in this body was John Padgett and Eli- 
jah Eskridge. The first deacon mentioned in the records of the church as 
being elected was Nathaniel Harrill, this was in 1852. 

As to the building this group met in, the first Beaver Dam Church 
building was constructed of logs and situated about 500 yards west of the 
present church building near a spring. It was found essential for obvious 
reasons during this period that all homes and churches be constructed 
near spring. It is further known that this building had no heat nor lights 
of any kind. It was the custom for someone to build a large fire in front 
of the church before each meeting for those attending to warm themselves 
before entering and after the service was dismissed. As to the furnishings 
of this church, nothing is known other than that logs were used for seats. 

When first organized, Beaver Dam Church was a member of the 
Broad RiverAssociation which at that time covered all of Cleveland and 
surrounding counties. When the Kings Mountain Association was formed, 
this church voted in May 1851, to become a member of this Association. 
As delegates to the first Kings Mountain Associational meeting, held at 
Double Springs the 7th of December, 1851, this church sent Elijah Esk- 
ridge, Wm. McSwain and John Padgett. Thereby this church became a 
charter member of the Kings Mountain Baptist Association. It is interest- 
ing to note that as their part of the Associational expenses and minutes 
for that year, this church sent $1.00 as its part. 

Some interesting facts about the first years of the church which 
should be mentioned is that the meetings were held once each month, 
these meetings being held quite often on Saturday. At these meetings, it 
was a part of the church function to hold the monthly conference. Church 
communion was held on the 4th Lord's day in August, November, February 
and May, and on each Saturday preceding church communioi, the rules of 
the church were read. 



The regular church conference was considered to be ore of the most 
important functions of the church life. In these meetings ail matters per- 
taining to the operation of the church were taken care of. At these con- 
ferences the enforcement of regulations regarding the attendance and con- 
duct of the church members were taken up. The rules by which a church 
member was governed in the early days of the church were much more 
rigid than today. As an example, one of the rules closely followed was: 
"Any male member not attending the regular meetings is to send the 
cause thereof by some member if possible to the church, or attend the 
next meeting if possible to render the cause thereof themselves". Some 
members were excluded from fellowship for not obeying the rule. 

In addition there were several other rules for which deliquent mem- 
bers were brought to trial and prosecuted. The church was very prompt to 
act on these members and in most cases disposition of such charges was 
made at the following conference meeting. Most of the offenders brought 
before the church confessed and requested the church to bear with them 
which in most cases was done. However, some who refused to make such 
acknowledgment or were chronic offenders were excluded.. Most of these 
excluded were later restored to church fello¥/ship when they repented and 
asked to become church members again. The first member excluded from 
Beaver Dam Baptist Church was excluded, as noted in the minutes, for 
fishing and playing on the Sabbath. 

The church although limited in it's first years in such things as trans- 
portation and communications was able to carry on the normal functions 
of a church as we recognize them today and each year the membership 
showed steady growth. 

As early as September 1851, the church granted Wm. McSwain regular 
license to preach. The wording of this license being rather unusual in 
that it granted him the right to preach in all the world. It was about the 
same time that J. J. Jones was also granted license to preach. 

The church was able in August 1852 to hold the first revival meeting 
at which time 14 members joined the church by letter and experience. It 
was in this meeting that the third colored person became a member, the 
second colored member being a slave girl whose name was Jane and be- 
longed to Elijah Eskridge. She had joined the church in 1851 and in years 
to follow other colored people became members of the church. One colored 
woman, Lucy MsSwain, was a charter member of the church and there are 
members in our church today who remember when she attended the 
services and sat in the rear of the church. She was buried in the northeast 
end of the church cemetery in April 1881. 

Several other activities were entered into by the church, one being 
the improvement in the first church building when a public subscription 
was made to raise money to make seats and line the cracks in the building. 

An attempt was made in March 1856 to organize some sort of Sabbath 
school. This attempt, however, met with very little if any success for no 
mention of the existence of such a school is made again until 1877. It was 
in this year that a more concentrated effort was put forth to establish a 
Sabbath School. J. T. Harrill was elected superintendent and G. C. MsSwain 



S8iiiiliisi^ SllS 

**f : l»ilii»llii:r lwraas^^i J§j|§ 



'fptl" 



^«W fca»««« 



■ ■ : 



MBMHff 




..,..,...,.., ,IISsilippl™i%. 

39RHHHH9HE& 

JfBlllliM 



HH 



liliSlIliMiftliiisi 






..■.■:.■;.,... :; ■ ■.■:;.■.; . ■.-..■■■.■.. : .... ■■ ... 










,y&4/ P 






Jl§ 



1HHHH 











r43li 

|l|Sjl||lf| 










%M§^ 



^CiiiHP 




was named a teacher. In addition, S. H. Namrick and C. C. Hamrick was 
elected as male teachers and Amanda Bostic and E. Webb as female tea- 
chers. This attempt did not achieve lasting success for it is known that 
some members of the church at that time objected to such an organization 
as they feared such a school might bring false and objectionable teachings 
into the church. In addition there were other factors which made the ope- 
ration of Sabbath School more difficult, one being that no heat was avail- 
able in the winter and it was necessary for the Sabbath School when first 
organized to operate only in the summer. 

Another attempt to reorganize the Sabbath School was made in 1879. 
J. T. Harrill was again elected superintendent and J. L. Wray the assistant 
superintendent. S. Hamrick was elected secretary and N S. Harrill was 
elected treasurer. 

To assist the churches in organizing Sabbath Schools, the Rev. G. M. 
Webb had been appointed some years prior by the Kings Mountain Ass'n 
to work among the churches as a Sunday School Missionary. 

It is believed that Beaver Dam was one of the first churches in the 
association to maintain a year-round Sunday School. The records show 
that this church has operated a Sunday School the year-round since 1879. 
The Sunday School was helped a lot when, in 1881, the church bought 
its first stove at a cost of $21.00. This enabled the Sunday School to carry 
on throughout the winter with a great deal more comfort. 

In 1856, the first call was made on the church by the Bible Board of 
Nashville, Tennesee, which we now know as the Sunday School Board. This 
ca'l -was for money to help distribute Bibles. The church voted not to send 
the funds. The following year in September 1857, the church took a pub- 
lic collection to obtain money to assist in sending preachers to the Cata- 
wba Valley which was called in a letter dated that year, "A destitute 
region of baptist preaching". 

The church in its early years was also active in helping to organize 
other churches and in 1860 sent its deaconship and pastor to help organize 
a church 12 miles east of Rutherfordton. The name of this church was 
not indemnified in the records. 

The church was not without its problems in the early years and fin- 
ances was one of the main problems. This is shown by the fact that in 1860 
some of the church members felt that a more suitable meeting house was 
needed but it was decided that this could not be done at this time. 
Additional evidenceof the financial problems confronted by the church is 
shown by the fact that it took 17 members to raise $1.00 which was sent to 
the Kings Mountain Association to help pay for minutes of the associat- 
ional meetings that year. This money for some reason was not turned 
over to the association by the delegates and was brought back to the church 
and used for the purchase of wine for the church communion service. 

The affiliation of Beaver Dam Church with the Kings Mountain Asso- 
ciation has not always been harmonious, for in 1859, Beaver Dam along 
with 5 other churches in the association withdrew and formed what was 
called the Constitutional Kings Mountain Association. This action took 
place in 1859 and was brought about by the liquor question. This subject 
had been discussed in the churche for several years but no definite solution 







x;.]M,i~im 





MBH| 





IP! 



iiiiiii 



tSSSlftts 



111111 



m ' ^iliaiiilllP 1 :!!!! 





\ ' 



: S #:81|1IV:C' 






IP! || 

Sll'll'^ll 



Oldest living member of Beaver Dam Church ; Deacon for 52 years ; Church 
Clerk 1885 - 1908, and 1913 - 1916; also church trustee: 



could be arrived at. In 1859, however, the association passed a resolution 
which was not to the liking- of these 6 churches and so it was that they 
withdrew from the association. The churches which did accept this resol- 
ution were faced with dissension in their churches and it was necessary for 
them to turn out of their church large numbers of their members. This 
division of the association continued with the two groups holding seperate 
associational meetings until 1866. It can be said to the credit of this 
church that it was one of the leaders in bringing about the reunion of the 
two groups. This was done by the church adopting a resolution in 1866 
asking for a consideration of this matter in sending it to their association. 

As early as 1878, the church showed an interest in Christian Edu- 
cation for it was in that year the church made up money to help J. M. 
Bridges receive an education. The record of this action as stated in the 
minutes for that year is as follows: "The church voted to help Brother 
J, M, Bridges procure an English education at Boiling Springs Academy". 

As noted by previous mentioned facts, the young church was growing 
in all respects. This is emphasized by the fact that in 1868 the church 
built its second building, this was built close to a spring as was the first 
one. The location was about 150 yards northwest of the present church 
building. This new building was needed very badly for several reasons, 
one being the old building was not large enough to accomodate the number 
of people which attended the services, another being that the old building 
was in a very bad state of repair. This fact is shown clearly by an entry in 
the minutes of that year which stated that the old building was rotten. 
So it was that on Saturday, February 22, 1868, that the first meeting was 
held in this new building. The cost of this building, as entered in the 
records of that year, was $24.00 and 52 pounds of nails. $30.00 was 
pledged but $6.00 was not collected. This building was a plain wooden 
structure and it was not until 1878, 10 years later, that this building was 
ceiled. 

Also in the year 1868, the group felt the need of a buring ground 
and in July 1868, a plot of ground, which is now the present cemefary, 
was secured. It is of interest to note that Howsen Harrill was the first 
person buried in this cemetary in 1870. An unusual fact is that his moth- 
er, Mrs. Susannah Harrill who was affectionately called "aunt Sukie" 
was to follow her son in 1871 and was the second person buried in this 
cemetary. To some it might seem unusual that the church had existed 
for 18 years without a burying ground but it is to be remebered that in 
this period it was customary for people to be buried in family cemetaries. 

After the building of the second church house, the membership incre- 
ased rather rapidly. In 1872 the total membership was 152 and by 1883 
the membership had grown to 258. One of the new members during this 
period was James Smith who was baptized in 1882 when he was 80 years 
old|. 

With this large membership the church once again outgrew its build- 
ing and in 1883 it was deemed necessary to build another church house. 
The committee which had charge of building this house was composed of: 
M. N. Hamrick, G. C. McSwain, J. L. Wray, C. Greene, George McSwain 
D. Bostic, T. C. Eskridge, George Doggett, D. B. Greene, L. J. Holland, 



w 



CK3 

d 

o 

3 













*SVi 



W^l 





C. C. Hamrick and D. H. Smith. It was during the revival meeting in 1883 
on Thursday of that week that the congregation moved into the new house. 
The location of the new house was moved to the present site of Beaver Dam 
Church. It is said that the very finest forest timber was used in the const- 
ruction of this building. This information is substantiated by the fact that 
when in 1923 the church voted to remodel and enlarge the church build- 
ing, the building which was constructed in 1883, was turned to face the 
highway, a basement added and the building brick veneered. So it is that 
the main auditorium of our present building incorporates the one construct- 
ed in 1883. The committee which directed this work in 1923 was composed 
of: T. P. Hamrick, J. S. Wilson, John Wilson, A. B. Humphries, J L 
Blanton, and David Greene. 

It was during the revival meeting in 1883 that our present pastor, 
Reverend John W. Suttle, was baptized when he was 9 years old. When 
our pastor joined the church, he was considered by some to be too young, 
being only 9 years old but one member of the church believed that this 
young lad had truly accepted Christ as his Saviour, this member being Mr. 
C. C. Greene, better known as Uncle Neilly, for it was he who made the 
motion to accept this young boy into the church. His faith has truly been 
justified. A very large group joined the church at this meeting as a total 
of 59 new members were added. 

The church has not only grown in membership and plant facilities but 
also in its scope of activities, having started yearly contributions to miss- 
ions and to christian education. These contributions began very modestly 
for instance the year 1876 Beaver Dam contributed to state missions $1.60 
and also an equal amount to foreign missions. This was increased until in 
1888 the church contributed to various missions as follows: Baptist Or- 
phanage $10.00, Christian Education $2.00, Home and Indian Missions 
$4.00, and to State Missions $6.00. 

Another example of growth may be noted in that prior to 1886 the 
pastor's salary had been raised each year by contributions from individ- 
uals but after that year the excellent method was adopted for collecting the 
pastor's salary, the excellent method being that a collection was taken 
every Sunday and the pastor's salary was taken from this. 

The year 1886, Beaver Dam for the first time was host to the Kings 
Mountain Baptist Association. It was necessary to accomodate the crowds 
which attended to utilize the school house which at that time was very 
near the church. Beaver Dam was also host to the Association in 1906, 
1928 and 1949. A report of the meeting at Beaver Dam in 1886 is as 
follows : 

"The 36th session assembled at Beaver Dam September 23, 1886 and 
days following, and after the sermon by Rev. G. M. Webb, from Luke 19:10, 
Messrs H. F. Schenck, D. S. Lovelace and T. D. Lattimore were elected 
moderator, clerk and treasurer respectively. A committee on Woman's 
missions was appointed at that session. The churches pledged for State 
missions $234.00, for Education $113.10. A Committee on Baptist Orphanage 
was appointed and $28.50 was raised for the Orphanage. Rev. C. Durham 
was present representing the Orphanage, and the body passed a resolution 
heartily endorsing the Orphanage and urging the churches to contribute 



o 

a 

jo 
H 
<< 

Ul 
o 
o 







regularly to it, as much so as to missions and education. The ladies met 
in the Academy to consider missions and were addressed by Dr. Nelson 
Dr. W. A. Nelson and C. Durham preached missionary sermons, and took 
up collection of $31.40. The session raised $350.94 for missions, total 
contributions for the past year beinging $7,924.31, with 40 churches and 
6194 members, having baptized 423 and received by letter 315 during past 
year, making total additions 738". 

It would be a mistake to omit the christian influence that the church 
put forth in this community during these years. An example of this being 
the interest that was taken in the schools of the community for it was as 
early as 1861 that the church granted an arm of support to a small school 
located close by. This influence and interest was continued and manifest 
and it was in 1904 that the church paid $20.00 for an acre of land on 
which to build a school. This acre of land being located approximately one 
mile northeast of the present church site on what is now the A. H. 
Padgett farm. 

One could not completely give the history of this period without 
mentioning the music of the church. The first mention of a hymn book 
was made in 1868 when it is recorded that the church authorized the 
purchase of a Bible and Hymn book. But for a period of 20 years after 
this the church had no musical accompaniment for it was not until 1888 
that the church voted to buy an Organ. It should be mentioned that the 
committee appointed to approve the selection of this organ was composed 
of three women with Mr. W. J. D. Greene to buy the Organ. The women 
on this committee were: Amanda Bostic, Mrs. J. T. Bridges and Mrs. 
Fannie Doggett. 

This was in some way a radical departure from precedent in as much 
as a thorough search of the church records up to year 1888 shows that no 
woman before this time had ever been placed on a committee in this church. 
It should be mentioned that this action did not meet the approval of all 
church members and in addition, the placing of these women on this comm- 
ittee caused comment throughout the Association. 

The above mentioned Organ served the church up untinl 1900 when 
it was replaced with a new Organ the case of which now serves as a book- 
case in the cradle roll department. The Organ purchased in 1900 served the 
church until 1924 when the church bought its first piano. It is significana 
lo note that the purchase of this piano w T as objected to by some of the 
church people. 

Beaver Dam Church has licensed and ordained several pastors into 
the ministry. The names of all these are not available, howeper, some of 
these men are as follows: Wm. McSwain, J. H. Carboro, M. Pannell, C. E. 
Beaver, J. J. Jones, F. B. Hamrick, W. F. McGinnis and Nolan Howington, 

The prsent pastor, J. W. Suttle, is a son of the church and it is interest- 
ing to note that on Saturday, May 21, 1892, this church was requested to 
send the deaconship and minister to assist in the ordination of Brother 
John W. Suttle at the Shelby Baptist Church. It is significant to note 
that on this date, he delivered the sermon at this church. 



tt 








"111 
"-. "■..- 




.J11 


lil§ 


y* 


WP^^B 




S : s . 


«24it 

§f|if: 


Hi 


::«; 


^-S^wit . 




H 


;:|^ili;'.^ 


§tlfl|f 



\ 1 




ill 

::■"; "'■ : S W'g %-m ;i :: ■ :i '% ; 1 -^ 



As previously mentioned in this history, Beaver Dam Church has 
been a mother church in sending- out members to form several new churches" 
The names of all these churches are not recorded, however, it is known 
that members sent from this church helped form Pleasant Ridge, Lattimore 
and Poplar Springs. In connection with the founding of Poplar Springs 
Church, Beaver Dam Church sent $13.30 to help build the church house. 

At the turn of the century, we find the church in a very active cond- 
ition with a membership of 305 and a growing Sunday School. The pastor 
m 1900 was Rev. B. M. Bridges, Mr. T. P, Hamrick was Sunday School 
Superintendent and also served as church clerk. The church had six active 
Sunday School classes with the following teachers : W. B. McSwain D H 
Smith, Miss Maggie Glasco, J. D. Brooks, C. W. Callahan, J. L. Blanton E* 
S. Glasco and B. D. Blanton. 

The pastor's salary in 1900 was $100.00 per year. The sexton's salary 
was $5.00 per year, his duties included not only looking after the church 
house, but taking care of the church spring. The pastor's salary in that 
year was paid at the end of the year. However, in 1902, the church voted to 
pay the pastor's salary quarterly or semi-annually. 

The first mention of trustees of the church is made in 1909 those 
listed m the records that year as trustees are: J. L. Blanton, D B Greene 

* \ M f W f m ' C ' C ' Hamrick and T - ?. Hamrick. These were naturally 
not the first trustees of the church but the first recorded list of trustees. 
_ After the turn of the century, the church continued to show progress 
m all respects. The pastor's salary in 1910 being $200.00 and the member- 
ship had grown to 276. Also in that year the church contributed $10.00 
to the poor. $20.00 to State Missions, $10.00 to Home Missions, $13 00 to 

&? T m t' $13 -°° t0 thG 0r P hana ^ $2.00 for Ministerial education 
$2.00 for Ministerial Relief, $4.00 to Old Ministers Relief, $2.00 to the 
Associational Minute Fund. 

Rev. A. C. Irvin served as pastor of the church from 1907 until 1916 
Many of our present members were baptized by Rev. Irvin. 

It was in the early 1920',-s the church started other activities in 
connection with Christian work. An example of this being the organization 
l a i ' ° n Se P tember 18 > 1921. Miss Ozell Gardner met with the 

church and assisted in this organization. Mr. J. B. McGinnis was elected 
President and Miss Mildred Hamrick, Secretary of this organization. This 
Organization has since that date shown steady growth and is today very 
active and considered one of the more important functions of the church 

The founding of the B. Y. P. U. at this church was followed shortly 
by the organization of a W. M. U. No record is found of the first officers 
ox this organization other than Mrs. Chivous McSwain was the first Pres 
It has grown from its inception and today it is well organized and assists 
the church in many ways. 

One of the chief reasons for many new activities during these years 
was the better church building. In 1923, the church was remodeled and 
enlarged which gave the church 6 Sunday School rooms and in 1924 elec- 
tric lights were installed. This was followed by a heating plant installed 
in 1928. 



On January 20th, 1925, a tragic accident occured on the church gro- 
unds. It was while working on the church grounds that Mr. David Greene 
was killed by a falling tree. The church felt deeply the loss of Mr. Greene 
as he was a deacon and an outstanding leader in the church. An appropriate 
monument was placed in the church yard by the family, designating the 
spot where the accident happened. 

Rev. J. C. Gillespie served as pastor from 1922 until 1927. and Rev. 
D. F. Putnam served the church as pastor from 1927 until 1935, 

Since 1935 ,the church has taken several forward steps in the way of 
organizational improvements, as well as physical equipment. In 1936 the 
church installed a central heating plant which added a great deal to the 
comfort of those attending church. 

In 1937. the church brought into use the method of rotating the church 
deacons. This method allows a deacon to serve 3 years and then rest for 
1 year, however, if the church so desires the same deacon may be re-elected 
after a years rest, or a new deacon can be elected. To this date, this method 
has proved satisfactory. 

In 1938 the need was felt for more room for the Sunday School and 
so it was on May 8,1938 that a building and purchasing committee was 
appointed. This committee composed of: 0. Z. Morgan- Chairman, John 
Workman, M, H. Hamrick, E, D. Humphries and Cletus McSwain. In 1939 
an addition was completed by the church that added six new class rooms 
and a baptistry. The bapistry was a welcomed feature of this project for 
it had been necessary before this date to perform the ordinace of baptism 
in outdoor pools. By this time the church membership had increased to 
over 400. 

The growth of the church building and equipment was not to stop at 
this, for in 1947 the church again deemed it necessary to enlarge, so in 
April of that year a building committee was appointed to investigate the 
possibilities of a building program and report to the church. This comm- 
ittee reported favorably and in July 1947 a building fund for the church 
initiated. The handling of this fund and the records of same, from that 
date until completion of same, was capably handled by Mr. Jasper G. 
Greene. 

In the summer of 1-48, this building committee advised the starting 
of this program. It was a very ambitious program and involved the ex- 
penditure of approximately $45,000.00. The committee which directed 
this program: O. Z. Morgan, Chairman, E. D. Humphries, Cletus McSwain, 
M. H. Hamrick, and for the first time in the history of the church two 
women were placed on a building comittee, Mrs. Eugene Hamrick and Mrs. 
Jasper G. Greene. 

Construction of this new addition was started in the summer of 1948. 
When this addition was completed it added 10 new class rooms, a very 
modern and fully equiped kitchen and an assembly hall with a seating 
capacity of 150. 

At the same time this addition was built, the auditorium and all furn- 
ishings were refinished and carpeting put on the floor. An additional choir 
loft was added so that we might have a junior choir in the church. 




WWfL 

■S m 8 X m m m ..♦. ■% l * •' » 



at;., vf£ 



In addition, a beautiful pastorial scene was painted back of the bap- 
tistry. This painting was done by Mr. Grady Humphries, a member of 
the church. He did this in memory of his mother, and his older brother 
died in the service of his country. 

It would be impossible to give too much credit to the membership 
of the church for their loyal and wholehearted support of this building 
program and of the large expenditure necessary to complete the work. 
In August 1950, only $8,000.00 remained unpaid. It is hoped that in this 
centenial year, this amount will be taken care of. 

The church today stands as one of the most modern and beautiful 
rural churches in the entire association, having 24 class rooms, a fully 
equiped kitchen, an assembly hall and a beautiful auditorium. 

As to the organization of the church, it has 520 members, a Sunday 
School enrollment of over 300 with an average attendance of 225. 

The Baptist Training Union consists of five departments : Story Hour, 
Junior, Intermediate, Young People and an Adult Union with an average 
attendance of approximately 100. The director of this work is Mr. B. P. 
McSwain. He has served in this capacity since 1946. 

The Woman's Missionary Society of this church is under the directoin 
of Mrs. Eugene Hamrick and is very active in all phases of Woman's Miss- 
ionary work with a membership of 30. This society is firmly established 
as an integral part of the church organization. 

The Young Peoples work of WMS is under the direction of Mrs. 
Brou.ghton McGinnis and is made up of the Sunbeams, Royal Ambassadors, 
Junior Girls Auxiliary and the Intermediate Girls Auxiliary. The enroll- 
ment in this department of the work is 85. This work is recognized by the 
church as being very important for it is from this group that the leaders 
of the church of tomorrow must come. 

In 1949 the church supported the organizing of a Boy Scout Troop, 
being one of the first rural churches in the Association to take such action. 

Also in 1949, a Baptist Brotherhood was organized. This church being 
the second rural church, and the fourth church in the entire Association 
to take such action. This organization is growing rapidly and at the pre- 
sent time has an enrollment of 44. 

The Sunday School tcday has an averr/je r.ttcrdance of 221, with six 
departments and over 20 classes and 50 officers and teachers active in this 
work. Mr. E. D. Humphries is Superientendent of the Sunday School and 
has served in this capacity since 1936. 

The church has two choirs, the Junior and Senior. Mr. Schieman 
McSwain is director of the church music. The Junior choir is directed by 
Miss Saranan Morgan, and Maultie Ann Callahan is pianist for this group. 
Miss Josephine McSwain is church pianist and plays for the Senior choir. 

The church has been active in the support of christian causes espec- 
ially Christian Education, In the last few years having supported Gardner- 
Webb College monthly. In 1945, the Church gave $3,000.00 to this institut- 
ion. In addition to this, the church voted in 1949 to give $1,000.00 toward 
the movement of Wake Forest College. In 1948 the church also voted to 



■;r*^ iv'f?^^-^ 

S'*v;;v : 'l 











if*f 



i ■ 



IK 



Itillfc* ■ 



give a $100.00 scholarship at Gardner-Webb College each year to assist 
some worthy young person from this community in furthering their edu- 
cation. 

The church budget for the fiscal year 1949-50 was $6700.00 and it 
is known now that the church contributions will exceed this amount by 
several hundred dollars. This amount does not include the building fund 
for the year which will be in excess of $6500.00. For all purposes, contri- 
butions to the church for this year will exceed $15,000.00 

The pastor of the church is Rev. John W. Suttle. This outstanding 
and widely known man of God has served the church as pastor since 1935. 

Today the members of Beaver Dam Church are justly proud of the 
history for the first one hundred years of this church and hold in high 
esteem the many christian saints who have gone on before, whose untir- 
ing and devoted efforts have made easier our paths today. Many members 
of the church today are descendents of the founding fathers of this church. 
We also reflect upon this history, with a just pride, in the fact that the 
progress of this church under God has been continuous and that the found- 
ation and desire for the future work of helping God's Kingdom to grow 
upon this earth is firmly entrenched in the minds of all. 

We look to the future with a faith born of christian endeavor and 
with a determination based upon the promise of our Saviour, that we can 
go forward in this work, a work which is important above all other work 
and that is the salvation of mankind. 




i^^^ii 






IStiillf 






Wiilliipll* 

^ |l fJ ft* f « 1 f| ' 5.H 5 -I' '15 

:-f| S II a K'M y :I: 3:S : i«;,S.-' M '.*■: $ 



■■■■ ■ ■. :■■ .■■.■■■:■■ ■ ■ .. ■ .. 

isfc 



Hi 



^ 



9 

hi 

W 

o 
B 

GO 

o 

H 

O 

fed 

o 

<< 

CO 

n 

o 

c 

O 

4 
O 

C 

■a 



f" 



*****" 







Hi* 




MEMBERS THAT SERVED THEIR COUNTRY IN WORLD WAR 1 



Grover Humphries 
Fred F. Callahan 
John Humphries 
Nestor Hamrick 
George Hastings 
0. Langdon Runyons 
F. Fitzhugh Runvons 



Joe W. Runyons 
Cleefane Greene 
J. Bryan McGinnis 
Will Lackey 
Boyce Jonas 
Clint Hastings 



MEMBERS THAT SERVED THEIR COUNTRY IN WORLD WAR 2 



N orris Brooks 
Ralph Greene 
Loran Callahan 
Homer Hamrick 
Clyde Humphries 
Dewey Cabaniss 
Carson Hamrick 
Max Humphries 
Willard Hamrick 
Earnest Hayes 
Herman Jones 
Hoyt McCurry 
Palmer McMurry, Jr. 
Thurman Jones 
Clyde McSwain, Jr. 
Hatcher Poteat 
Miller Jones 
Lamton McSwain 
Charles Philbeck 
Daniel McCurry 
Robert Morgan 
Willie Pyron 
Clarence Pyron 
Clay Wilson 
Ralph Wallace 
Hudson Wilson 
Royace Hayes 
Edward McSwain 
Re • r r-~-rz 



Horace Poteat 

Jewel Justice 

Everett Cabaniss 

Harold McCurry 

Eugene Hamrick 

Henry Harrill 

Edwin McGinnis 

Jack McMurry 

Arbuth Blantcn 

William McSwain 

Arthur Blanton 

Herschel Wilson 

A. V. Hamrick 

J. D. Harrill 

Ben Wilson 

Ralph Greene, Jr. 

Oelandj Humphries 

Garland Bowen, Jr. 

Hazel McSwain 

Johnnie Pyron 

Howard Padgett 

Arnold McSwain 

Ralph Callahan 

Thomas McMurry 

Leon Wortman 

Howard Bowen 

Edgar Jones 

Evelyn Glascoe, Lt. A. N. C. 



. R. C. Doggett, Jr., USAF and Sgt. Bennett T. Humphries died in the 
vice of their country in world war 2. 






E. D. Humphries 
Sunday School Supt. from 1927 to 
1932, and from 1936 until the present 
time. Church Clerk, Deacon. 



W. H. HUMPHRIES 
Church Treasurer from 1923 until 
present time. Deacon and S.S. teacher. 





V. C. Justice 
Church Sexton, Deacon 



>«§&■' 



!;*?:fX9.. 



WsWIffM 



Ralph C. Callahan 
Assistant Supt of Sunday School fr- 
om 1936 until the present time. Dea- 
con, incoming - director of B. T. U. 



CHURCH CLERKS — BEAVER DAM BAPTIST CHURCH 

1850 1852 -- J. J. Jones 

1C53 -J- D. C. Webb 

1854 D. Hamrick 

1855 __ i860 J- T. Harrill 

1861 — 1864 John Bridges 

1864 — 1865 W. A. Jozies 

1867 N. S. H?.rrill 

1*68 _ 1882 J. T. Harrill 

1883 — 1886 S. H. Hamrick 

1887 — 1894 C. C. Hamrick 

1895 — 1908 T. P. Hamrick 

1909 — 1912 C. C. Hamrick 

1913 — 1916 T. P. Hamrick 

1917 — 1919 J. P. Humphries 

1920 — 1923 H. H. McGinnis 

1924 — 1950 E. D. Humphries 



CHURCH PASTORS — BEAVER DAM BAPTIST CHURCH 

1850 — 1853 R. P. Logan 

1854 L. McSwain 

1855 — 1856 R. Poston 

1857 William McSwain 

1858 — 1859 R. Poston 

I860 — 1864 D. Pannell 

1865 — 1867 L. H. McSwain 

1868 — 1871 L. C. Ezell 

1872 M. Pannell 

1873 — 1874 T. Mullinax 

1875 R. Poston 

1876 — 1877 C. M. Webb 

1878 — 1885 J. M. Bridges 

1886 G. P. Hamrick 

1887 — 1890 A. P. Hollifield 

1891 J. M. Bridges 

1892 — 1893 G. W. Rollins 

1894 — 1895 A. P. Hollifield 

1896 — 1903 J. M. Bridges 

19C4 — 1906 M. E. Parish 

1907 — 1915 A. C. Irvin 

1916 — 1918 A. H. Sims 

1919 R. C. Campbell 

1920 — 1921 W. G. Moore 

1922 — 1926 J. C. Gillespie 

1927 — 1934 D. F. Putnam 

1935 __ 1950 J. W. Suttle 





Sill; 



Warn 



WBBHb 



m 

■SillslpllsisS 



ill.. 




Schieman McSwain Josephine McSwain 

Director of music at this Church. Church pianist since 1948 until now. 
Deacon 




Saranan Morgan Maultie Ann Callahan 

Director of Junior Choir since its or- Pianist for the Junior Choir 
ganization in 1948. S. S. Teacher. 







Mrs. Broughton McGinnis 



Mrs. Eugene Hamrick 



Director of Young People's work, also Sunday President of Women's Missionary Society, also 
School teacher. Sunday School teacher. 





B. P. McSwain 

Director of B. Y. P. U. since 1947. Deacon and 
Sunday School teacher. 



Jasper G. Greene 



Deacon, Sunday School teacher and Secretary & 
Treasurer of Building Program started in 1948. 



SRXSsli 





1111 



Robert F. Morgan 







Jean McSwain 



Deacon, President of first Brotherhood. Supt. of Sunday School Teacher and Co-author of Church 
Adult Dept. and Co-author of Church history. history. 






.«•*""'" 



0. Z. Morgan 

Chairman of Board of Deacons, Sunday School teacher, and Chairman of Building Program in 
1939 and again in 1948. 



(§m Munbnbtty AtttttiiMraanj 
1B5H 1950 






BEAVER DAM BAPTIST CHURCH 

REV. JOHN W. SUTTLE, Pastor 

Route No. 4 Shelby, N. C. 



MORNING SERVICE 
October 29, 1950 

Piano Meditation 

Anthem: "Praise Ye The Lord" 

Invocation 

Hymn No. 406: "The Church's One Foundation''' 

Announcements & Recognitation of former members & visitors 

Presenting of Church History 

Scripture Reading 

Morning Prayer and Choral Response 

Tithes and Offerings 

Male Quartet 

Message : Rev. W. G. Moore, Sumter, S. C. 

Hymn No. 249: "On Jordon's Stormy Banks" 

Benediction 

Piano Postlude 






AFTERNOON SERVICE 
2:00 P. M. 

Piano Prelude 

Hymn No. 46: "Onward Christian Soldiers" 

Prayer 

Junior Choir: "Fairest Lord Jesus" 

Announcements & Recognitation of former members & visitors 

Message: Rev. J. C. Gillespie, Reidsville, N. C. 

Hymn No. 239: "Blest Be The Tie" 

Benediction 

Piano Postlude 



1B50 195D 








40 



BEAVER DAM BAPTIST CHURCH 

REV. JOHN W. SUTTLE, Pastor 

Route No. 4 Shelby, N. C. 



MORNING SERVICE 
October 29, 1950 



Piano Meditation 

Anthem: "Praise Ye The Lord" 

Invocation 

Hymn No. 406: "The Church's One Foundation"'' 

Announcements & Recognitation of former members & visitors 

Presenting- of Church History 

Scripture Reading 

Morning Prayer and Choral Response 

Tithes and Offerings 

Male Quartet 

Message : Rev. W. G. Moore, Sumter, S. C. 

Hymn No. 249: "On Jordon's Stormy Banks" 

Benediction 

Piano Postlude 



AFTERNOON SERVICE 
2:00 P. M. 

Piano Prelude 

Hymn No. 46: "Onward Christian Soldiers" 

Prayer 

Junior Choir: "Fairest Lord Jesus" 

Announcements & Recognitation of former members & visitors 

Message: Rev. J. C. Gillespie, Reidsville, N. C. 

Hymn No. 239: "Blest Be The Tie" 

Benediction 

Piano Postlude 



MM 






Date Due 












































































































































Demco 293-5 



\Ljaulord zr 

GAYLAMOUNT® 
j PAM PHLET BINDIR 
L_ Syracuse, NX 
CSS Stockton, Calif. , 



L 



' 




sauejqn AjisjaAiun aWQ